In her opening remarks during the District Aids Council (DAC) that was held on 07 December 2021 at Polokwane Royal Hotel, the Executive Mayor Cllr Mamedupi Teffo said,
“It is encouraging to see representatives from our different community structures joining us to show unity in the fight against HIV/Aids. As we mark the district commemoration of AIDS Day that took place last Friday, we can point to significant progress in the collective response to the epidemic on the road to reaching the goals of zero new infections, zero discrimination and zero AIDS-related deaths”
The District Aids Council was launched in 2017 to serve for a period of five years and it’s terms is coming to an end in March 2022.
Thereafter the Executive Mayor appointed the new members to be part of the 2022 DAC which she will be chairing.
CDM coordinates all the government HVI/Aids programmes in partnership with department of Health like testing, treatment, clinics, support for home-care and treatment for sexually transmitted infections and TB. Presentations were made focusing on mid-term MDIP and COVID19 statistical report. The Executive Mayor also congratulated officials who were going on tirement who served the district with distinctions.
“Let me take this opportunity to thank the following people who have been a pillar and active members in the fight of HIV/Aids. These women played a big role, and they are now retiring. We want to wish them well in their new future. Let us acknowledge:
· Ms Masekela S worked for the Dept of Health as Assistant Director and served at District Aids Committee and Technical Committee (DACTC) as a secretariat.
· Ms Mothapo L worked as Deputy Director- Health SPECIAL Programms and also served as Deputy Chairperson- DACTC.
· MS Mariashane P served as Deputy Director- Employee Health and Wellness in the Treasury who also contributed immensely on the work of the DACTC.
· MS Maumela M the Director Health Special Programs
· Ms Kgomotlokoa M the Director- Employee wellness
· Ms Movundlela P who is an Officer- Employee Wellness – Dept of Justice” she said.
Kgosi Maleboho was also part of the DAC respresenting traditional leaders. Executive Mayor thanked the retired women who have contributed immensely in fighting the scourge of HIV/Aids in the district. She was joined by the Acting Municipal Manager Thuso Nemugumoni who also chairs the DAC Technical Committee.