Capricorn District Municipality and Swaziland had a bilateral joint gender summit that seeks to affirm the right of men and women to equality and other fundamental rights; & find lasting solutions to societal anomalies such as genders based violence. Executive Mayor John Mpe opened the gathering officially on 15 March 2017 at Hayani Guest House and Conference Centre in Polokwane. The summit was a platform between the two countries to share best practices in gender mainstreaming in partnership with Commission on Gender Equality, Gender Links and attended by community-based organizations, civil society and other interest groups.
The Leadership at the joint gender summit where South Africa was represented by CDM Executive Mayor Cllr John Mpe, MMC for Community Services Cllr Betty Kgare, Speaker of Blouberg Municipality Cllr Maria Thamaga and Acting Municipal Manager of CDM Thuso Nemugumoni and Swaziland represented by Piggs Peak Town Mayor Thembisile Ngeangpelela and Ngwenya Town Mayor Ginindze.
The fruitful and fulfilling summit filled with enlightening discussions between CDM and Swaziland local government was characterised by friendliness & camaraderie. The two day summit concluded with awards ceremony that recognises excellence in gender mainstreaming & other varied categories of social transformation agenda. The awards were for the following categories:
- Entrepreneurship certificates to all entrepreneurs
- COE certificates – COE Colour recognition awards
- COE – Urban overall best performance
- COE – Rural overall best performance
- Most resourceful urban best performance
- Most resourceful rural best performance
- Rights Best Practice Award – SRHR, HIV and AIDS
- Rights Best Practice Award – HIV and AIDS
- Rights Best Practice Award – GBV
- Project Best Practice Award – Economic Justice, including education, training, economic development
- Project Best Practice Award – Climate Change and Sustainable Development
- Emerging Entrepreneur best performance – winner
- Gender Drivers of Change – Leadership