The Executive Mayor Cllr Mamedupi Teffo has met the community of Maponto on 15 August 2023 to hand over a water project, and to introduce the service provider who will be working on the project.
The project handed over will create about twenty job opportunities to residents of the area. Over nine- hundred households will benefit from the project.
The work involved in the project is at a cost of over R12m.
The service provider was expected to commence with the work after the meeting. The work involves;
– Sitting, drilling and testing of two new.
– Equipping and electrification of five boreholes.
– Construction of approximately 6,500m of uPVC pipelines which consists of the bulk water supply and reticulation with different diameters.
– Installation of fifty standpipes.
– Installation of a new 150.00kl elevated steel tank.
– Fencing of boreholes and storage facilities with palisade steel fence. Work on the project is expected to be completed on 29 February 2024.
During her interaction with the community the Executive Mayor raised a concern about the theft and vandalizing of municipal infrastructure within communities. Cllr. Mamedupi Teffo said that this lead to the municipality having to spend money on the same project twice, disadvantaging other communities. She also called on them to work together with the municipality and the service provider for the project to run smoothly.